Basement flooded in Woodside, CA
What Should You Do Before The SERVPRO Professionals Arrive?
- Keep children and pets away from standing water because this is often contaminated.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- You can remove excess water by blotting and mopping.
- Move all precious objects to a safe, dry place.
- Keep all damaged material for proof of loss. This is useful for insurance purposes.
What Should You NOT Do Before The SERVPRO Professionals Arrive?
- While there are several precautions you should take, there are also certain things you shouldn’t do; one example is leaving wet fabrics in place. If you have any furs or leather goods, hang them!
- Do NOT use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water! Regular vacuum cleaners are not made to pick up liquids, and doing so can run the risk of electrocution and damage to your vacuum. If the flooding is minor, you may be able to use a wet-dry shop vacuum for water removal.
- Do NOT use TV or other household appliances. Contact with water can cause metal pathways in your TV’s circuit board to corrode, making it unusable.
- If the ceiling is wet, do NOT turn on ceiling fixtures. This also goes for sagging ceilings where you have to keep out of the room altogether.
- Do NOT leave colored items like books or magazines on wet carpets or floors.
As always, the main question you have to ask yourself when your basement floods would be, “is it safe to stay in the house?” If you answered “no” to that question, know that SERVPRO of Burlingame, Millbrae move-outs, and pack out help make the remodeling process quicker while protecting items from further on-site damage. You also want to be mindful of wet materials as they can be heavier than they look. As always, we work with your insurance company for a stress-free claims process to help you manage the paperwork. If you need us, you can contact us at (650) 651-7290. We’ll bring your home back to its preloss glory. This franchise is independently owned and operated.